tonight i made bucatini with bacon and leeks for dinner. it was quick, easy, and delicious so i thought i would share the recipe here. i cooked this intuitively as i went, so all measurements are approximate.
BUCATINI WITH BACON AND LEEKS
1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
6 strips of bacon (you want to use 3 strips per person), sliced
1 large leek, halved lengthwise and sliced
1/4 cup of heavy cream
8 ounces of dried bucatini** (about half of a package)
a handful of kosher salt
grated or shaved parmesan
1. melt the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. in the meantime, boil some water and the kosher salt in a large pot to cook the pasta.
2. add the bacon to the skillet and cook until crisp, about 10 minutes.
3. once the bacon is crisp, start cooking your pasta.
4. add the leeks to the skillet and cook until very soft, about 7 minutes.
5. stir the heavy cream and some black pepper to taste into the bacon and leek mixture.
6. once your pasta is nicely al dente, drain it, reserving about 1/4 cup of the cooking water. add the pasta to the skillet and toss to combine. add some of the pasta water to help thicken the sauce if need be. top with the parmesan and serve immediately.
**if you can't find or don't have bucatini, you can substitute any kind of pasta you like.
i served this dish with a side of roasted radicchio tossed with a balsamic reduction.
sylvie had leftover curried peas for dinner. i don't think she's quite ready for bacon yet!
stay tuned for a lot of new things happening on the blog. i registered a new domain on typepad and am currently working on the design of a new blog. not too worry, i plan to export all of my old posts to my new internet home! i'm so excited to expand my blogging beyond being a mommy. thank you so much to everyone who commented on my last post. your kind words and sage advice made my weekend that much brighter.
also, i now have a twitter account! sarawithoutan_h. you can follow me by clicking the link in the sidebar! happy monday!